Wednesday, February 27, 2008

UB Tournaments

I played 3 tournaments on UB last and made some plays mid tournament-near money to get a good chipstack going through the money levels. I made it deepest in the $3r I chopped last night and went out trying to steal some dead money from the button. I typically don't like to get below 10bb so I look for the best spot to shove all-in...most of the time I'm looking for my opponent to fold. I ended up getting called by a hand I'm slightly ahead of (53/47 favorite).

Again, if I play all my hands like this, suited connectors to AA then I get many folds plus I win 50%+ of the pots that showdown. Long-term a winning play(+EV). I hope I rarely call without proper odds in these situations, but raising and putting pressure on your opponent to call in adds the additional out of your opponent folding his hand.

If I PF raise 6600-7600 and the flop comes out 10,J,Q...I have a difficult time making a CBet that would essential commit me to the pot no matter what my opponent might do following my bet.

Hand #51171229-222 at 2.5kG9pm-002 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Started at 27/Feb/08 00:39:06

duufus101 is at seat 0 with 7925.
poopusher is at seat 2 with 111320.
thejig is at seat 3 with 34560.
4scuba20 is at seat 4 with 37625.
leehrat is at seat 5 with 69890.
NAM VET 67 68 is at seat 6 with 131285.
Salmon Slayer is at seat 7 with 90680.
judgeboss is at seat 8 with 24005.
luckymanlou is at seat 9 with 48565.
The button is at seat 8.

duufus101 posts ante (200).
poopusher posts ante (200).
thejig posts ante (200).
4scuba20 posts ante (200).
leehrat posts ante (200).
NAM VET 67 68 posts ante (200).
Salmon Slayer posts ante (200).
judgeboss posts ante (200).
luckymanlou posts ante (200).
luckymanlou posts the small blind of 1200.
duufus101 posts the big blind of 2400.

duufus101: -- --
poopusher: -- --
thejig: -- --
4scuba20: -- --
leehrat: -- --
NAM VET 67 68: -- --
Salmon Slayer: -- --
judgeboss: 2c 2s
luckymanlou: -- --

Pre-flop:

poopusher folds. thejig folds. 4scuba20 folds.
leehrat calls. NAM VET 67 68 folds. Salmon Slayer
folds. judgeboss goes all-in for 23805. luckymanlou
calls. duufus101 folds. leehrat folds.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

judgeboss shows 2c 2s.
luckymanlou shows Kh Ad.


Flop (board: Td Js Qc):

(no action in this round)


Turn (board: Td Js Qc 4s):

(no action in this round)


River (board: Td Js Qc 4s Jc):

(no action in this round)




Showdown:

judgeboss has 2c 2s Js Qc Jc: two pair, jacks and deuces.
luckymanlou has Kh Ad Td Js Qc: straight, ace high.


Hand #51171229-222 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
luckymanlou wins 54210 with straight, ace high.
----------------------------------------------------------------


I went out in 42nd place with the money @30th. I gave myself a better than 50% chance to have a great stacking heading to the money bubble where players typically play very tight, folding superior hands just to make the money.

My play in tournament poker has improved quite a bit from my start back in the Moneymaker days. I have played very few tournaments in the last 2 years, compared to most online players, but I have studied the play of good players and how they accumulate chips. I have never made a final table with such a huge chip stack as I did last night, mainly because I never took any risks leading up to the money. I was always happy to make money, and hoped I would get a good run of cards at the end.

I found out last night that a good run of cards doesn't always = getting (QQ+) Preflop. It means having the best hand at showdown (any 2 can win) or making your opponent believe you have the best hand. (any 2 can win). I busted AA twice, KK once and AK once in the last 24 players. Its fun when you run good!!!

I hope I actually cash in a smaller percentage of tournaments than I have in the past...because I know when I do cash, the payoffs are going to be much higher!!!

No comments: